Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

September 07, 2006

Job Satisfaction

As we're walking to the car after HH's team had lost their second game this past weekend, his mom asks me if HH likes what he's doing.

For a moment, I was at a loss for words. Images flashed in front of my eyes like a movie - HH at Tech when studying engineering, HH's look of pride when he asked me if I had seen Backup Keeper's game today, HH when we started piecing together the dissociative episodes, HH's exhausted smile when he came to get his bag from me the night before, HH's face when he talks about soccer...

Yes, was such an understatement.

The transformation in my husband since he became an honest to goodness soccer coach is astounding. Yes, some of the changes are due to his illness being under control, but the majority of the changes come from HH.

He laughs more.
He makes jokes more...well, his jokes are actually funny now.
He doesn't take himself so seriously.
He can find the humor in the little things.
He sleeps better (albeit louder).
He helps out around the house more and doesn't have to be asked.
He takes initiative.
He tells me all about his day.
He talks soccer constantly - good thing I find it interesting.

At the end of the day - whether the girls have won or lost, he comes home with a smile. He gets up excited about going to work. In all honesty, I'm a little jealous of that. I dread going to work. It's not that I don't love teaching - I do, but I hate subbing. It's a means to an end right now. He's worked his tail off to get to where he's at right now. Sure, there are coach's out there with more experience and more education, but I've yet to find a coach that loves his job as much as HH.

With that thought, I must go pack HH's bag for the New York tournament and prepare the travel surprise I have for him and Head Coach. Hey, if I want to be Head Soccer Mom, I gotta practice now.

Win or lose, Babe - you're a winner to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home