Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

March 03, 2006

Jello ~ Idiot-proof...or is it?

So, any idiot can make Jell-o, right? I mean, you just heat some water, pour in the gelatin, mix well, add cold water and refrigerate to set. Simple! No muss, no fuss.

Unless you are me.

Jell-o has become my nemesis. Jell-o is evil. Jell-o is the devil, Bobby Bouche!

While student teaching, my cooperating teacher brought in Virginia and cardinal shaped cookie cutters so the kids could learn more about the state symbols of Virginia. Being helpful me, I offered to bring the Jell-o.

The red Jell-o (for the cardinals) never got firm. It was way too watery. And before you say it, I followed the "Jiggler" recipe to the letter. The kids got blobs that didn't resemble a cardinal whatsoever. Hell, half of them ended up eating part of their napkin in an attempt to get their Jell-o. They didn't care!

The green Jell-o (for the state outline) firmed up nicely. Then it melted by the time it was to be used. Did you know you can melt Jell-o? It actually goes back to it's liquidy state. Luckily, I noticed this and rushed it to the kitchen to chill. I retrieved it in the afternoon and it stuck to the pan it was so "firm".

So, you can see why I am so proud of this:


If you squint, you can see it jiggling. Wheeeeeeeee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home