Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

February 09, 2006

Childhood Memories

My mom tells stories of my childhood some I vividly remember (being scared of Smokey the Bear, playing Hide and Go Seek with my babysitter without her knowledge, etc) and others I do not (getting stuck in the toy box, stealing the coffee table doily, etc). In the category of childhood memories I don't remember is something my father did.

Let me preface this with the fact that I love my dad. He's a good guy that tries hard. We're a lot alike, so we tend to butt heads. Stubborn? Not us! (My mother claims I am more stubborn than my grandfather, and that's apparently quite stubborn.) Anyway...

When we were little my dad would say things like, "What do you think about going to the zoo this weekend?" Or "why don't we go to the park on Saturday?" However, come Saturday, he was exhausted from work and wanted to spend his day sleeping and/or resting.

Like I said, I have no memory of this. So it obviously didn't scar me for life. That being said, my mother is a big "if you say you're going to do something, you do it" kind of person. We weren't allowed to just up and quit dance classes when we got sick of them. We had to wait until the end of the year and decide then (11 years of dance classes later). In fact, the only thing she let me quit was band. A whole lot of good that did her as I signed up again the following year (6 years of band later).

Which leads me to today's anecdote...

Last night, we received several calls from my father inquiring if I was planning to go to the big meat sale* at the grocery store.

I hate going places alone. I'll do it, but its not my favorite thing. The time Hokie Hubby and I lived apart helped me get over my "phobia".

Finally, last night it was decided that Dad and I would get up early. Hit the meat sale and get home in time for him to make it to work on time. I wasn't really thrilled about getting up at 6, but I figured we could beat the rush AND I could get my sleep schedule adjusted.

Six o'clock came waaaaay to early this morning. I drug myself out of bed. Threw on some clothes and `rassled my hair into an accepable form (not too acceptable as I figure the crazier I look, the more people will stay out of my way). I was just sitting down to check email when the phone rings.

"Hello?" (I know it's my parents...thank you caller id)
"Hello. I don't think your dad is going today."
"Uh. Okay..."
"He doesn't want to get up."

Typical.

I told my mother that I would go anyway. No biggie, I can fight off the old ladies quite easily. They don't scare me. Bring it on, granny. Bring. It. On.

* This is a twice a year sale with really great prices. It does pay to go and stock up. I saved over $100 today and came home with enough meat for several weeks for only $160.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home