Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

February 11, 2006

2006 Olympic Opening Ceremony

When it comes to the Olympics, I am a total sap. Strangely enough, even though I don't have an athletic bone in my body, I get this rush of pride when the United States wins a medal or an underdog wins when no one though they could. I love the idea that these games bring countries together. Even for just a week or two. I get a little teary when that flag enters the Olympic stadium. Told ya...sap. I've tried to talk myself out of my sappiness, it just doesn't work.
I'm not into all the symbolistic stuff that is usually in opening and closing ceremonies. I lose interest quickly when the announcers have to give me a running commentary about what everything "represents". Boooooooring. However, there were some things I really liked:

Highlights:
  • Hammer man - What a cool job to get to beat this anvil and watch huge fireballs fly out of it. Glad he wore a mask though. Talk about singed eyebrows!
  • Singing of the Italian National Anthem - I loved the little girl that sang. She's about the age of my mom's kids. She looked adorable (and terrified).
  • The Olympic Rings - Though it took me a minute to figure out exactly what these huge circles were (when people were hanging from them) once they turned them sideways and shone the different colored spotlights on them - WOW! Those were one of my favorite features.
  • Free-form people - This was my other "favorite" part of the opening (besides the parade of athletes and the rings). It was such an ingenious set up. True, it took me a moment to figure out what the heck they were supposed to look like, but after that, I was hooked.
  • Country sign carrier dresses - Totally weird looking, until you realized they were supposed to look like the Alps, complete with skiers. It made me giggle.
  • I also liked how NBC provided the flag, country name, map, population, and number of athletes competing in a little ticker bar across the screen during the parade of athletes. I'm familiar with the more well known countries, but some of those lesser known countries were a puzzle to me. Thanks NBC!
  • Olympic Flag entrance - carried by 8 women. All right! And in case no one else mentions it, Sophia Loren looks amazing for being over 70. Wow.
  • Koreas - North Korea and South Korea marches into the stadium together. What a moment for those people. I guess there is talk of them competing as one nation in 2008.
  • The Virgin Islands have 1 athlete competing; a 50+ female luger. Nice.
  • I also liked the actual lighting of the Olympic cauldron. Pretty neat!
  • Best commercials: I love the SBC/AT&T commercial with the lifts picking people up nationwide and taking them over the ocean. I think I like the concept. I also love the Coke commercials with the cheerleaders for different winter events. Heh. Heh.
Dislikes:
  • 2 words: Yoko Ono
  • The more I see/hear Bode Miller, the less I like him. He seems extremely cocky. Maybe that's just me.
  • Canadian sportswear designers...could you pimp your countries name any more? Canada on the coat in huge letters, Canada on your hats. We get it. You're from Canada. (It occurs to me now that the USA did pretty much the same thing. DOH!)
To Be Determined:
  • Not sure if I like the new medals. To me, they look like big CDs. Not rings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home