Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

January 04, 2006

"Welcome to the worst day of my life."

Doesn't that just sum it up?

The excitement and euphoria of midnight this morning was dashed so quickly when I woke up this morning and learned that reports were mistaken. It's like someone just stomped on my sunshine. Honestly, I don't have words for what it is like.

I love the community where The Hubby grew up. Would I want to live there again? No. Does it have it's problems? Of course! What community doesn't!

The people in this community are great. I cannot say enough nice things about them. They take care of one another. Yes, everyone knows everyone else's business, but they don't hesitate to help you out no matter their personal opinions on the matter.

It's one of the first times in my life that I was in a place where I felt truly accepted. Rarely did I encounter the furtive glances and the hushed giggling whispers that I've heard my whole life. There is no other way to say it. These are just good people.

They don't deserve this.

I am so torn.

Many of the miners, engineers, etc are people The Hubby knows, worked with, or knows through his Dad. They're not bad people either. Yes, someone down by the portal misspoke/miscommunicated something. But please remember, these are the men that were risking their own lives to get these guys out as quickly as possible.

I see both sides. I understand how "the business" works. Some of it needs to be revamped...but seriously, have you looked at the education system lately? It needs a heck of a lot of work too. Mistakes were made. Ultimately, people will have to be held accountable. I think Ben Hatfield will eventually get most of the "blame". I guess that is why he gets paid the big bucks to be the CEO.

Add to my sadness and anger the realization that this was, in fact, the mine that The Hubby worked on as a summer intern. This is the company (well, Anker) that offered him a job after graduation (which he turned down to do graduate work). There is a large possibility that this would have been "his" mine if he had accepted this job.

Those are the "what-ifs" that just stop you cold.

Pray for the families of the dead miners, the family of the injured miner, and the community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home