Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

January 25, 2006

Parents

You know...for most of these kids, parents are the problem. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. I know of several parents working their tushy's off to help their child succeed and the kid just doesn't want it/can't do it/won't do it. How do you expect your child to be successful in school or even learn anything when it takes you until January to get them on medicine? (This child needed it terribly and has been on it for about a week. She's a different child. She's learning! Maybe she's taking smart pills too.)

However, I have had another first. Parents doing homework. Sure, I'd heard of parents taking over kids' science projects and finishing them. Now, I have a mother that does her son's math homework. It's not even attempting to be hidden. It's blatent. First, it was just a few problems at the bottom of the page. Then it was the bottom half of the page. Last night? She did the entire thing! I'm seriously hoping that she is just acting as a scribe, writing the answers he tells her. But even at that, this is not a kid that needs a scribe. He's relatively smart...or is he?

Today he and I are going to have a little heart to heart about this homework. I want to know what is going on. Then I will handle it...delicately. If I feel there isn't a way to handle it delicately, I'll leave it for Math Teacher. That's why she gets paid the "big bucks" and health insurance.

The funny part of this? She's missing problems! Silly mistakes in check writing. Do you know how to write a check properly? I didn't know you had to include and .

In Hokie news, woohoo! If I had DVR or Tivo I'd be setting it now. But I am writing it on the calendar! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home