Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

October 06, 2005

Loyalty, Serial Huggers, and West Wing

I apologize in my blog neglect. This week turned out to be busier than I had anticipated. Busy, busy, busy.

Monday, I worked in the "special needs" kindergarten. The teacher has two students with cerebral palsy, a student - Boogie Boy - that wipes is nose boogeys on others (totally lacking social skills), and some other students with "issues". The principal specifically asked me to come in (signed me up and notified me later...lol). I had been in her room and vaguely knew the kids from the day I roamed during the Diebels testing. Wow what a day! I don't know how this woman doesn't lose her mind. Lots of normal kindergartener stuff...then you have the oppositional boy with cerebral palsy who can be quite a handful. Add a few other high strung boys, not breaks, extreme heat, and a serial hugger and it makes for an interesting combination.

During afternoon choice time, I sent the students three at a time to get their bookbags from their locker (teacher's suggestion and what works for her). Everything went really well, until the serial hugger went. Serial hugger has decided Boogie Boy is his best friend. (Yes, serial hugger is a boy - and he is already showing a lot of feminine tendencies) Anyway, I stick my head out the door not more than 30 seconds after Serial hugger left and he is on the ground hugging Boogie Boy.

Oh.
My.
God.

Did I mention their regular teacher is in the library and this is happening OUTSIDE the library? Luckily, one shout using my "teacher voice" and they returned to the classroom. Before leaving, Serial hugger gave me a big hug and pronounced me the "best teacher he's ever had". Until tomorrow.

Throughout the day, I also dealt with the Random Kisser, who decided to kiss his friend. A simple, "We don't kiss at school." and we were ok. There was also I Love You Girl, who the children informed me was not allowed to tell the boys she loved them. Unfortunately, she thinks she does love them, thus she tells them. Frequently. Maybe she and Random Kisser should get together?

Tuesday evening I received a call from a teacher at my favorite school to work. He's the nicest guy and he really likes me (he likes me, he REALLY likes me...anyway). He needed to be out the following day and wondered if another sub could get the job if he posted it right now.

I told him that if the permanent subs we without a job for that day, then yes. Eventually we decided that he would post the job at 9:25 and we would just take it as it comes. Luckily, I got the job. I swear, sometimes its like playing a video game!

It is important to note that I am a fiercely loyal person. I will defend a loved one until the bitter end. I will defend their right to be incorrect. That's just how I was raised. If you're a friend, you're a friend all the time, not just when it behooves you. Someone needs to send that little memo to hubby's ladies on the soccer team along with my photograph.

Since hubby is the assistant coach I am also loyal to the head coach. He's a nice guy, he's been great to my hubby, and I think he's a good coach. (Of course, my coaching knowledge and my soccer knowledge could fit in an itty bitty box...but whatever.) Last night was their first home game after a four game "road trip". It's been almost a month since I went to a game, I was eager to see the progress the girls have made.

It was a good game. Hard fought...all that jazz. Oh! Before I forget, the opposing goalkeeper's name was Princess. PRINCESS! Oy. Anyway, during scoreless game, Head Coach decides to change things up. They're not scoring, maybe a change will help. So they put in Ms. Attitude. Ms. Attitude refused to follow instructions. She is scared of getting physical...she won't admit it, but that is how she acts. Anyway, Ms. Attitude is a forward. Head Coach puts her in as a defender (apparently, a totally different position). Ms. Attitude does really well for a girl who has NEVER been a defender before. Way to go, Ms. Attitude!

After the game, when everyone is cleaning up and heading for the locker room, Head Coach calls Ms. Attitude over to tell her what a great job she did in a new position. Unfortunately, Head Coach never gets to tell Ms. Attitude this because, you guessed it, she copped an attitude. So after trying to address the "issue" head coach tells her she may go.

Ms. Attitude stalks off the field and begins wiping silent tears. (There's no crying in soccer! :) ) Immediately Mama Attitude is rushing toward her daughter saying, "What happened?" Where am I, you ask? I am standing approximately five feet from Mama and Ms. Attitude. Go, go gadget ears.

Ms. Attitude gives her mother a COMPLETELY different story of what happened. Mama insists, she "has been a forward for the past seven years, (she's) not a defender". Mama is futher incensed that Head Coach "yelled at her in front of everyone". Say what? No one was around and the only non-team people left were parents (and wives). As if this little venom spewing session couldn't get any better, here comes Brother Attitude. He insists that in 110 minutes of soccer they tried "nothing new offensively". Huh? Your sister at defender so others could move up, sounds like a new offensive move to me.

About this time, hubby is walking across the field toward me. I am discretely motioning for him to not come to me, but to go away. Apparently, I was a little too discrete. When he got within hearing distance I muttered, "go away I'm eavesdropping". But it came out as "govay evesdropping". At this point, he slinked away to tell a "funny" story to another teammate. Alas, I think the Attitude family was onto me at this point as they decided to go home. Drat! Foiled again.

Be assured that both hubby and Head Coach have been made aware of the conversation. Was it my place? Probably not. However, I stick up for these girls (that I don't know, but feel like I do) all the time, (I am the "female" voice to hubby...giving female perspectives - which I hope helps him and Head Coach) and this one has the potential to cause a LOT of problems. Head Coach has a meeting tomorrow with Ms. Attitude, hubby is sitting in, but not saying anything. That way Head Coach has a witness when Ms. Attitude tries to turn things around on him later.

Lastly, I was watching West Wing this afternoon while eating lunch and it had one of my favorite parts. I don't really care for the episode, but I watch for the story Leo tells Josh at the end. Everytime....every stinkin' time, I get a little mushy. So here it is:

A guy is walking down the street when he falls into a hole. The walls are so steep he can't escape. A doctor walks by and the guy yells up, "Hey doc, I'm stuck in this hole, can you help me out?"

The doctor writes a prescription and throws it down the hole and leaves.

A priest passes by and the guy yells up, "Hey Father, I'm stuck in this hole, can you help me out?"

The priest scribbles out a prayer, tosses it down and walks away. Then one of the guy's friends walks by and the guy yells up, "Hey Joe, I'm stuck in this hole, can you help me out?".

The friend jumps down into the hole with the first guy. The first guy asks, "Are you stupid? Now we're both down here!"

The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out."

And cue the cheesy music!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home