Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

September 12, 2005

Ummmm...

Well, the interview is over (whew)! I abhor interviews. They make me nervous. They make me tense. They make me stupid. I swear, I walk into an interview and every coherent thought or previous knowledge of ANYTHING is gone. Gone!

The school has only been open for 4 years. Last year, they totally revamped their curriculum and teaching staff. They purchases $50,000 of new books and materials. There are fences surrounding the school (a former Catholic school) and bars on the first floor windows. Seeing this as a country girl, I was immediately a little nervous. To enter the school, you ring a bell, introduce yourself to the secretary, and enter. Or you talk to the security guard stationed at the door. All in all, these precautions make me feel safer as there are not random people wandering the halls. On the other hand, these precautions are obviously necessary, which makes me a little leary. I would not be comfortable staying after dark and working in my classroom.

I think the technical interview stuff I did well on. The only issue that really bothers me is a "question" by the honors program director. (She said she doesn't ask direct questions, she wants to see what the teachers will tell her. Wha!? You're encouraging me to ramble? Greatttttt.) She kept asking me how I would assess students to see what level they are on in math (in order to pull them out for the honors program). I don't know!? Worksheets? General knowledge activities? Uhhhhhh... Have I mentioned I hate math? Not good at it...and it hates me back?

The one thing that has caused me the most anxiety though is in regards to the dress code. Every teacher/staff person I saw was wearing a white button down type shirt and either black/blue/or khaki pants/skirts. First, white, as a clothing option, and I do NOT get along. My white clothes never remain white. I'm just too messy. Therefore, I own NO WHITE SHIRTS. I have A pair of CREAM pants that my mother bought for me that make me nuts when I wear them as I am worried about getting them dirty. I don't mind dressing professionally, but if I am limited to black and white, I am going to have to buy a bunch of new clothes. Clothes I can't currently afford.

I don't know how I feel about the interview. I don't know how it went. I got a good vibe from the principal, but the honors program director (who proudly told me SHE is the reason they are still hiring) didn't give me as good a vibe, and like I said, she flustered me. I vacilate between hoping and praying I get this job and hoping and praying I don't get this job.

Everything happens for a reason. If I am meant to have this job, at this point in my life, then I will get this job. If it isn't meant to be, I will know I did my best and it simply wasn't right. Part of me hopes that if I get the job, the current district I am subbing for will really miss my presence this year. Then in the spring when it comes time to interview, they will remember me. Of course, I won't be a bargaining member so I probably won't even be eligible to post for the bargaining member only jobs. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Story of my life.

That being said, if I am offered this job, I will most likely accept the position. When someone waves a steady (reasonably well paid) paycheck in my face along with medical and dental benefits, it is very hard for me to say no.

For now...there is no more news to report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home