Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

September 21, 2005

Meeting the Countryboy

Marry him? I've never met this person face to face before and he wanted me to marry him!?

Right before I signed off, I quickly typed my answer.

"Yes."

That was that was said. No ring appeared and no strange man suddenly showed up. It was always there though. The knowledge that someday, we would be together, and for now, that was enough.

My senior year of high school is a blur. Classes, phone calls to Virginia, huge phone bills, a correspondence course crammed in so that I could go to Virginia Tech, and my one and only moment of rebellion (and I got caught too...I can't misbehave, I get caught!). February is memorable though. In February, we traveled to Blacksburg, where I met my country boy for the first time. On his 20th birthday.

I still remember sitting in that hotel lobby after calling him to tell him we were there. I was so nervous. My hands were shaking and my heart was pounding. Would he like me? Then the door opened and he walked in. Relief washed over me. He was wonderful. We spent the whole weekend talking. After that weekend, I knew I was in love. I couldn't wait to see him again and being away from him was torture.

For Easter, I traveled to his hometown to meet his parents. Now THAT was stressful. His mom is also a teacher. She is also one of those, good-at-everything-she-does kinds of people. Talk about feeling inferior. His dad looks just like him. Or does he look just like his dad? Either way, you can definitely tell they are related.

The highlight (well, for me, low point) of the weekend occured Saturday morning. Hubby was teasing me. As I rounded the corner to go into the bathroom to shower, I took off my watch, held it up, and without thinking asked him...

"Want a watch?" Only it came out, "Wanna watch?"

I closed the bathroom door to the gales of laughter of my hubby and his father. Luckily, his mother didn't hear me. Oh the horror. I've yet to live it down eight years later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home