Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

September 20, 2005

Countryboy(M/19)

Countryboy(M/19)...that was my hubby eight years ago. An anonymous name in Geocities chatroom.

I was 17 and using our new-to-us computer. My uncle had given us his two year old Gateway when he purchased his new computer. The internet was a strange and fascinating place. I had discovered the wonder of creating websites. My first site was hosted by Geocities. Geocities/Nashville/1400 I believe. It's so different now that it has been purchased by Yahoo!

Anyway, I was talking with my friends. Most of which, I have since lost touch with. I don't remember what we were chatting about, simply that I was there. This "countryboy" entered the room and started talking to folks I knew. He mentioned something about being injured. I sent him a quick message saying I hoped he was all right. The rest is history so they say.

We exchanged ICQ numbers (the only way to talk "back then"). We talked about anything and everything. He was a nice guy. Getting ready to return to college for his sophomore year. He went to Virginia Tech.

Where the heck was that? I'd never heard of it. This was back before Tech's National Title run, Michael Vick, and Coach Beamer was still just a coach. He sent me the link and I remember looking at this webpage and thinking, what kind of school colors are maroon and orange!? They don't even match! Ohhhh, how my thinking would change. (Maroon and orange do, in fact, match...I have dozens of articles of clothing to prove it)

He used words I didn't. Words like "comfy" and "folks". Words that are now an ingrained part of my vocabulary. Then one Saturday night in September, we stayed up all night. We talked and talked and talked. Talked about everything.

As I was signing off to go to bed in the wee hours of the morning, he sent one last message...

"Would you marry me?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home