Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

August 06, 2005

"Invited" to MANDATORY training

I received a notice in the mail today from the assistant superintendent "inviting" me to a mandatory training session for all the substitutes in the district on August 23rd. Uh...thank you? Where shall I RSVP?

The reason for the training is the district has decided to implement that AESOP (Automated Educational Substitute Operator) system. This will be my first experience with this type of system. I am worried. 1. Because I don't like change. and 2. I am worried about getting as much work. As it is now, I get a lot of calls because TSC (the sub caller) knows I will work if she calls me. I am reliable and game for just about anything.

So...anyone have experience with this system? Should I be worried about working?

It's hard to not get discouraged about getting a full-time position when I am entering my 3rd year of subbing.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM, August 06, 2005, Blogger nora said…

    I have used a similar system for the school district near me. Nothing to worry about! If it works like my system did, then you will get an automated phone call that tells you to listen for the available jobs, and then if you accept will give you a job code and any other details, and if you decline will ask you for the reason why. You can also set your preferences when you are away (or just feel the need to have a couple of days to yourself!)

    Ahh, the beauty of subbing. :) Good luck!

     
  • At 5:16 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger Pigs said…

    I think ours is like the comment above also...seems pretty easy. I know our subs like that they can tell it when NOT to call them. (at 5:30am)

     
  • At 12:52 AM, August 08, 2005, Blogger leesepea said…

    Must be something in the water.

    I just got "invited" to a mandatory seminar about blood-borne pathogens. If I don't go, they won't let me re-register on the automated subline for 2005-2006.

    Nevermind that I've been twice already. I almost know the whole schpiel by heart: "If it's wet and warm and NOT yours, DON'T touch it!"

    Imagine that statement coming from someone who sounds EXACTLY like Kathy Najimy and you'll know what I'll be experiencing on the 23rd from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

    Wheee!

     
  • At 11:57 AM, August 12, 2005, Anonymous Carrie said…

    I've worked with a sub caller and an automated system. I thought I would hate the automated system b/c I wouldn't get as much work, but then I worked every day. If it is like our system you will get a number that teachers can use to request you. A lot of the regular subs would make up business cards and pass them out to teachers so they'd have their numbers handy. It was pretty nice to be able to tell the system when not to call. Also, ours was online as well so it was really easy to double check things and you could log on and get jobs that hadn't been taken yet. I guess it really just depends on how many subs are in the system and how good you are. I knew people who would complain that they only worked two days a week, but they were really awful and never got requested.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home