Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

August 10, 2005

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Broke down and went with my mom to get my hair cut today. For years I went to chain hair salons, specifically, Famous Hair. They gave me my first perm. I was adorable, if I do say so myself. However, over the years, I got disgusted with the ever changing staff. The same girl never cut my hair twice.

Add to this the fact that while I like my hair, I am stylistically challenged. I can curl my bangs...beyond that, I am all thumbs. I look forward to having a little girl so I can practice braiding her hair. To me, hair is just there. Pull it out of my face and off of my neck and I am good to go. I live in the boonies; hair isn't a big deal. It's a necessary evil.

So I went with my mom to get my hair cut. D has been my mother's beautician for as long as I can remember. In fact, my mom had D's children in school. One of my earliest memories is sitting with my mom in the salon while D cut her hair and feeling an earthquake. I couldn't have been more than 4. But I digress...

D has been my beautician for at least 5 years now. She went to hair shows to get ideas for hairstyles she could do with my hair for my wedding. She's a neat lady. I trust her implicitly. Anyway, I went to get a hair cut today. My hair was way too long, thick, and blah. Simply put, I was not happy with it.

The woman is a miracle worker. I sat down in her chair, said "I want something different. This isn't working. Not too short because my face looks round, but not too long because then its limp and icky."

I love, love, love my hair. She cut it shoulder length and then razor cut the sides so it is not so heavy but not bushy. I love that I can just plunk myself down in the chair and trust her to work her magic. I am just thrilled. It's hard for a antihair person such as myself to describe. I will try to get a picture (here's where that digital camera birthday present would come in handy -- hint, hint -- only 9 more shopping days).

5 Comments:

  • At 3:55 PM, August 10, 2005, Blogger leesepea said…

    Glad you got a cut you like.

    My hairdresser, whose first name also begins with D, is great, too.

    Of course, I bring in pictures of what I'm thinking of (some of which I've even sketched) and it almost always turns out exactly the way I wanted.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, August 10, 2005, Blogger H0kie Erin said…

    That would work too, but I can't seem to picture hairstyles on my head. lol However, when I see a hairstyle on my I instantly love it or hate it. I don't waffle.

    I've always kicked myself because I didn't get one of those Cosmo programs when they were out where you could put different hairstyles on your head. Now with that, I could be really effective!

     
  • At 7:25 PM, August 10, 2005, Blogger leesepea said…

    Check your local library.

    Mine has a section of software you can check out for like $2 or $3 a week, and I've seen the Cosmo thing there! You could check it out and not have to spend a fortune on it!

     
  • At 8:58 AM, August 11, 2005, Blogger Cylithriaâ„¢ said…

    Hiya Erin, thank you so much for coming by and thinking of me. And I am so jealous that you Love Love Love your hair cut LOL...everytime I sit in the beasticians,,,, I mean beauticians chair I get the worst cut LOL

    I'm glad someone gets good styles now!!! Thanks again for stopping by lady (((Hugs))

     
  • At 11:50 AM, August 12, 2005, Anonymous Carrie said…

    Glad you got a cut you like! It is SO SO SO hard for me to find someone to give me a decent style, and moving around all the time doesn't help in that department. In college I had a lady that I could just sit down and say "do something good" and always come out looking good and I really miss that. I love razor cuts too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home