Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

August 04, 2005

Another week of the same old same old

I apologize for not posting as much as I should, but the fact is, all I do is whine about not feeling well lately and I don't want people to stop coming.

Another week of the same problems. In fact, as each day passed, things got worse. She had instructed me to go up to 2 pills a day. If that didn't work, go to 4 pills a day for another week. Two pills didn't work. It helped, but not enough. After seeing the mental toll this is taking on my dear hubby decided HE should call my doc because apparently I back down and downplay my problems. Who me?

So starting last night, I began my one pill every six hours routine. Hubby says that the doc said if four pills a day doesn't stop it then I am to go to the hospital. Honestly...that is what scares me the worst. The hospital in and of itself doesn't bother me. However, the way I was treated last time I went is something I don't want to go through again. What happened last time? Oh, do let me share my horror with you.

-----
Flashback My "girl problems" started in May. I had never been to the ob/gyn and it scared me. However. by June I decided things were getting silly, so I made an appointment at Planned Parenthood (the only place I could afford having no health insurance). June 20th I went to Planned Parenthood. They wouldn't do an exam since I was still...having "girl problems". But they handed me three months worth of birth control pills and said, "See! I bet you didn't think you could get birth control without an exam!" Yeah. Yipee.

So I faithfully started taking my medication. It made me sick. Like clockwork, 30 minutes after I took it, I would run for the bathroom. Then I would spend the rest of the night feeling queasy. So after 2.5 weeks, I stopped them. The problem hadn't gone away (in fact it had gotten worse) and I was sick of being sick. The night before the 4th of July, I let my mom and hubby talk me into going to the ER.

After taking blood and a drive-by pelvic (that's what I've decided to call the minute - and I timed it - that the doc was in the room) they told me to get an appointment with an ob/gyn in 4 days because there was nothing they could do. They didn't see a problem. Afterall, the doctor said, "blood does clot". Fine.

I called the ob/gyn and they said their first available appointment was July 18 (2 weeks later!), After some wheedling, they agreed to *try* and squeeze me in on the 14th.

Then the following Friday it got worse. I put up with it for 2 days, hoping and praying it would go away. On the 12th I decided I should follow my last ER visit's post-care instructions of coming back if it got worse.

We finally left after 2 hours without being seen because I was sick of the nurse's looks and the whispers. Add to that the fact that the triage nurse told me that I had to go to my Thursday appointment. DUH! (she ASSUMED I had been canceling them). THEN she proceeded to tell me that I need to get seen because they couldn't (and I quote) "keep putting out fires".


--------------

See why I really don't want to go back to the ER? Sure, I could go to another hospital...but this one is literally 10 minutes from my house and it's the only hospital I've ever gone to. Plus, I know we qualify for reduced cost care due to low income. I think my worrying is making it worse, but its hard not to worry. Especially when you are a worrier.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM, August 06, 2005, Blogger Pigs said…

    That's crazy that they're treating you that way. Is there an urgent care or something you could go to instead?

     
  • At 12:17 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger Erin said…

    I can totally sympathize with all that you are going through right now, and I'm really sorry to hear about it. I've been having awful debilitating headaches every single day for six months, and so I get to have frequent unpleasant experiences with doctors. My ER experience was by far the worst, being the Sunday before I opened up a new classroom in March. They gave me two spinal taps...yes, 2...which they got no fluid from not because there was something wrong with me but because they are morons. My back still hurts from it. Anyways, you are in my thoughts! Keep fighting for yourself and try to stay positive (I'm a worrier too and have spent many nights up crying)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home