Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

August 23, 2005

AESOP, not just a fable anymore

You know...the training session wasn't so bad. The bad part about the training session was the asinine questions people asked.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

Some people seriously need to get out more. My favorite was the lady who wanted to know the percentage of jobs that are "last minute" (morning of). Well, duh, most of the jobs are last minute. The district is encouraging teachers to post jobs as soon as possible, but they can't make them. Besides, sometimes, people just get sick! She would not let up, "but what is the percentage of calls?" WHO CARES! Good grief!

The gentleman that wanted to know if he would lose jobs because he wasn't on a "preferred list". Yes, no, maybe? The tech guy basically said maybe and gave the example that one person can only take one job for each day. This guy got ANGRY.

Let's see...a retired teacher informed us that "at her old school" if they wanted a particular sub they would just call them right before they were putting the job up and tell them it was being posted and to snatch it up quick. Uh...that's cheating. I'm not above doing that for the teachers at my mom's school, but its cheating. The look on the admin's faces were priceless. It's like telling the class the answers are in the back of the book.

The "older" subs (retired folks) are downright cranky. Geesh. I plan to take things as it comes. If I start to see that I am not getting enough work, I plan to call the county schools and get on their list. (After the "training session" however....I will be livid if I am required to sit through a course entitled "How to read lesson plans". Are you kidding me!?) After 3 years of subbing, I am becoming.....resigned (?) to my fate.

I've already recorded my name in the system so I am ready to go. Our system becomes live on Monday. So I see myself spending all of Monday constantly refreshing the site to see if I can get some work.

Is it wrong that I had to stifle a giggle when someone mentioned that if they are online, they're on their phone. Ahahahahahahahaha, cable modem ladies! Ching, ching!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:42 PM, August 23, 2005, Anonymous Carrie said…

    The teachers aren't allowed to request the subs they want? That's crazy! I would often get calls from teachers asking if I was free for a day so they could enter my number in and know they would get me.

     
  • At 9:59 PM, August 23, 2005, Blogger H0kie Erin said…

    They are working on getting teachers a "preferred list". Which means I get first dibs on jobs. Right now, only the school building itself can have a preferred list. However, this should be fixed by Monday. :)

     
  • At 1:10 AM, August 24, 2005, Blogger leesepea said…

    We've been given a 4-digit ID number (nothing to do with social security number) and are allowed to leave the number with teachers, who may then request us by entering the number when they post their jobs.

    80% of the jobs I got last year were from hitting "refresh" on the online system for one district while sitting on the phone with another district. Even with all my references and leaving cards/magnets with my number on them, only 20% were jobs I got requested for.

    It really depends on how much you want to work. If you want to be in a classroom every single day, you'll find a way to do it.

    Last week I signed up with a third district, just to be sure I'll be busy this year. And I'm sure I will be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home