Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

July 19, 2005

Harry Potter and the Freezer

Remember that episode of Friends where Joey reads Rachel's book, Little Women, and Rachel reads Joey's book, The Shining? Joey talks about putting The Shining in the freezer when he gets to the scary parts. Then when something bad happens in Little Women, Rachel asks if he wants to put the book in the freezer?

The point of my randomness is this. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is now safely ensconced in the in-laws freezer. If it's in there, then it didn't really happen. I can just pretend I didn't read what I read.

I honestly don't know where things went wrong. This morning I was just at the beginning of chapter 7. I was taking my time...savoring the Potter. By this afternoon I was over half-way. Tonight, as I crawled into bed at 11:30, I vowed to read "just one more chapter". Next thing I know, I am closing the book. Finished. I had dreams of rereading it when I finished...but it may meet the same fate as Book 5 which I can only bare to read once a year at the beginning of summer. For now...it's in the freezer, until I can deal with it.

Will you people hurry up and read it so I can discuss it with someone? :)

5 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM, July 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've read it!

    If you want to discuss it with strangers you can go to http://www.fantasyfreaks.org/fantasy/forum.html I'm there as Caleyna. We are a friendly bunch who love discussing books.

    So what part caused you to freeze it? The death? I think I must be emotionally disconnected b/c I didn't cry or anything, though it was disturbing. I just can't figure out how she is going to end this series!

    Carrie

     
  • At 6:24 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Pigs said…

    I'm done! Whew!

     
  • At 12:21 AM, July 25, 2005, Blogger Erin said…

    found your blog through mz. smlph....i had exactly the same experience as you did with half-blood prince. I tried to read it slowly, savoring each moment. But then I got too caught up in it...and, well, you know what happens. It's in the freezer...

     
  • At 11:16 PM, July 25, 2005, Blogger Dree said…

    I know what you mean. I wanted to put the book on my shelf and pretend I didn't read what I just read. And I read it WAY too fast, so now I have to wait forever for the next one. Damn Potter.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, July 29, 2005, Blogger hnl said…

    I love the freezer thing. I've not seen that episode of Friends, but that's exactly how I feel about the book. (Just found your blog through the Erin above.)

    Best of luck with your health issues, too. I've not had an ultrasound since I was really young, but I still remember having to pee really bad even as I was walking through the parking lot to get into the doctor's office for it!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home