Random Notions and Stories of Teaching

April 27, 2005

It's only Wednesday!?

Day 7 in 3rd grade...beginning to think it is them or me. Continually engaging in evasive maneuvers to avert impending doom (a.k.a. someone crying).

In all seriousness though...these short weeks kill me! I don't know what it is, but short weeks are worse than whole weeks. Bizarre! Today I implemented Queen of Ramble's mystery box. I cut out "tickets" and told them when I caught them doing something good or "right" they would be given a ticket to write their name on, then on Friday, I would pick 5, yes 5 tickets and those people would get to pick out of my "magical mystery treasure box". [Insert sarcastic Oooooooo here] So far...it's working. Yay!

Here's my real rant...I got to hear a little about the 4th grade level meeting. Apparently, next year, teachers aren't allowed to give 0s. So if I student doesn't turn something in, it doesn't count against them. They aren't required to turn their work in (HECK! They shouldn't be required to show up either). As if this isn't enough, if a child fails a test, they are to retake the test until they pass. [Insert Lucy's patented puzzled 'Aroo look] But wait, there's more! The grading scale will be changed so that a 3.5 is an A and a 2.5 is a B. SAY WHAT!?

The state of Ohio (and anywhere else that institutes this or similar plans) is taking away any value that the A grade used to have. As a student, I would be PISSED if I worked my tail off to get an A and Joe Bob gets the same grade with less work. It would be one thing if Ohio had some of the best state testing scores...but THEY DON'T. It's probably good that I don't have a permanent position because I will have an extremely hard time teaching to a test. It doesn't work! Studies have shown it doesn't work!

It's very frustrating when my own mother (a teacher having taught 35 years) is telling me to look into other careers. I know teaching is a difficult profession and we keep getting asked to do more with less, but I like teaching. I don't want to do anything else!! I understand the cons...but its the one thing I feel I am good at doing.

Talk about depressing.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:47 PM, April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is totally asnine! I didn't know what some of my students could do, simply b/c they never turned in any work at all (I taught HS English for three years). And the devaluing of the A. Horrible. What ever happened to A meaning EXCELLENT? C was supposed to be average, yet it has someone become a "bad" grade. The state of education is so frustrating in so many ways. I could never go back to it full time. I get worked up enough just doing it as a sub.

    I don't know where you live since I just found your blog a minute ago from your comment, but some other options depending on your town and area are educational coordinators/teachers at museums and science centers. That's what I'd really like to do someday I think.

    Carrie (queenoframbles)

     
  • At 11:27 PM, May 02, 2005, Blogger Pigs said…

    ARGH! It's spreading! My district has done away with averages and grades in the elementary school! Try to get motivation out of a kid with no grades!! I'm with ya sistah!
    Oh, by the way, maybe I should send you my ponchos!

     
  • At 8:33 AM, May 03, 2005, Blogger Eddie said…

    That is sick. Those kids are going to grow up without any sense of responsibility. It's scary.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, May 03, 2005, Blogger leesepea said…

    What in the world will we have to hold over their heads if we can't hold them accountable for their work?

    Meep!

    A scary thought indeed!

    P.S. I use the mystery box/raffle ticket system, too, even as a day-to-day sub. You'd be surprised what wonders a three dollar roll of tickets and a pencil box crammed full of little candies and doo-dads will do for a class' motivation level.

    Even in middle school! *Wink*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home